Hints and Tips: Timing is Everything: Watch the Calendar
Timing is Everything: Watch the Calendar
We’ve found that chefs who are successful at maximizing sales and reducing waste are, in most cases, very good at predicting customer demand. The more accurately we can forecast demand, the less likely we are to have leftover items that become waste. The only thing you can count about customer demand is that it’s likely to change over time. One of the key drivers of customer preference is the season of the year. Chefs who pay attention closely to seasonal preferences have the best shot at anticipating changes in item popularity, matching demand, and avoiding waste.
- Beginning of the Year: It’s resolution season. time to lose that winter weight, customers will start to move away from the
heavier foods and begin to target healthier, salads and entrees.
- Spring: Be prepared for a wide swing in desires. Pay particular attention to the weather, cold spell coming back? Customers will look back for the warmer filling foods. Stretch of nice weather? Customers will think healthier and portability is key as people look to break free and get outside.
- Summer: Pool season! Lighter fare to match the sunny days and keep people cool. Items that customers can grab on their way outside, iced drinks and chilled items take preference over heavier winter menus.
- Fall: Twinge of fall and football is in the air. Swimsuits are done; people will be looking for more comfort foods and back to the
grill in preparation of the holiday season ahead!
- Winter: It’s holiday time. It’s cold, wet, and customers will be turning toward those filling items such as festive comfort foods, heavy soups, casseroles, pastas, ham, and stuffing.